Sunday, February 26, 2012

Studio Sunday and Collaboration WIP

Welcome to Sunday once again.  The intense winds from yesterday have blown east and it is bright, sunny and cold here in Massachusetts.  I look at the pictures that Holly McLean posted on her blog and can't believe we are not also covered in layers of snow.  I have missed the picture perfect views of fresh layers of snow here this year, but winter isn't gone yet!

Yesterday afternoon, I finally got to work on my collaboration fabric that Holly McLean sent me.  You can see the whole piece of fabric on this post.  One of the ideas that I had for Holly's beautiful ice-dyed fabric was related to winter and wings.  I put my pencil to paper yesterday (not without a ton of erasing) and drew out a beautiful wing that I'm really happy with (do I see a Thermofax screen?) and used an enlarged section of that image for my art quilt.   Just by chance, I found a beautiful piece of fabric with similar hues which I used as the background fabric then layered sections of Holly's fabric over it. 


To highlight the wings, I have brushed white paint over the feathers.  Here it is beside the hand-drawn image.  My ideas are continuing to develop as I now hang this piece above my work table.  I had wanted to draw out some wings and Holly's fabric definitely inspired me to get to it!


Last night I stayed up until almost midnight playing on my journal pages.  Some are done and some still need more.  Again, it's a great time for me to just play at the end of the day.  I feel looser and more open to just see what happens.






Back to my workshop for some serious work.  Before I know it, dinner will be approaching fast and I will need to make a grocery store run before that.  I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!

Margaret

3 comments:

Leslie McNeil of MarveLes Art Studios said...

It's hard not to always say WOW and I feel like a robot... but it's fabulously... fabulous! Each and every one. I second the mtn on the wings screen! I'm clapping my hands "yay!"

elle said...

Margi! You have got some fantastic stuff happening here. I just want to touch those feathers! Do you 'tip in' the journal pages?

HollyM said...

Somehow I missed this post even though I was waiting for it. Somehow I missed it in my blogroll.
I love what you're doing with the wing. I would never think of cutting the fabric up but I think it's great.
The journal page with the birds is my favorite if I had to choose.