Wow! I've been doing lots in the studio this weekend (basically Saturday) and experimenting with reverse-applique and newspaper screen prints. Of course, I'm also working hard on my mixed media submission for CPS which I hope to have completed this week (I'm very excited!!!) I pounded a lot of copper wire yesterday for this project (thanks to a very generous donation by my BF!!)
After downloading two new Quilting Arts Workshops DVDs, Beryl Taylor's "Mixed Media Art Quilts and Kerr Grabowski's "Adventures in Surface Design", I was totally inspired to try the techniques. I experimented with a leaf design for the reverse-applique, which I'm not too thrilled with as I'm working through it. I will try another shape/design again and with only a few layers, but here is a pic of how far I did get.
I loved both workshop DVDs and I experimented with the newspaper cut screen-prints. THis first design worked out fine and then I ran into problems as soon as I flipped the newspaper over to incorporate the reverse print in my next run. The paint was drying way too fast and I had to scrape it off. You really have to move fast with this technique. Anyway, at least this one worked out great. I'm already thinking of how to develop this into an art quilt.
And last, but not least, a glimpse of the copper wire pounding results :)